So this month’s prompt was best character names and we were told to be as broad as we like – so boy did I. I’ve gone on a full name basis – titles and all and included all media, I also have several honourable mentions because I love names, it’s my favourite part of writing, creating character names and I’m fascinated by how defining a name can be, if you let it. I can’t quite put it into words but yeah –
On with the list!
10. Daenerys Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons – A Song of Ice and Fire Series [Books & TV Show]
It had to have a mention – the best title in Westeros and boy does Martin love his titles.
9. Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore – Harry Potter Series [Books & Movies]
Okay, so though size doesn’t matter … *cough over awkward pause in reading* … I remember first hearing Dumbledore’s full name and thinking, it’d be cool to have that many middle names – why Brian, though?
8. Adrian Pimento – Brooklyn 99 [TV Show]
This may not seem obvious but it mostly has to do with how they say it in the show and an inside joke with my boyfriend but now I can’t hear or read his name without saying it like that and it makes me laugh.
7. Atticus Finch – To Kill A Mockingbird [Book & Movie]
“Atticus! Atticus!” – If you didn’t read that Mary Badham’s annoying voice in the movie then, well, you haven’t seen the movie or you probably would have. Atticus just sounds like an all-knowing guy.
6. Luigi Vampa – The Count of Monte Cristo [Book & Movie]
how this guy is sitting is how I picture Luigi Vampa at every point he appears in the book. I listened to the audiobook for The Count of Monte Cristo and the French and Italian accents in it were absolutely hilarious and I loved how Luigi Vampa always sounded like such a flamboyant fellow.
5. Bilbo Baggins – The Hobbit [Book & Movie]
Alliteration is always a winner with me but it’s just such an iconic name, with so many punny potential uses.
4. Sterling Archer – Archer [TV Show]
Known as Archer in the show, this is a badass name. Without knowing anything about this guy but his name you know he’s suave and can kick ass.
3. Han Solo – Star Wars [Movies]
You may be seeing a theme for my love of Rebel’s names but I mean I have never considered ‘Han’ a cool name but coupled with Solo and it’s like – yeah!
2. Locke Lamora – The Lies of Locke Lamora [Book]
Again with the aliteration but it just rolls off the tongue, say Locke Lamora 6 times fast – it could be a vocal exercise.
1. Lorelai “Rory” Gilmore – Gilmore Girls [TV Show]
I actually don’t like her character that much, her mother of the same name is much better but I just adore the abbreviation to Rory. I don’t know why I just do. I’d happily consider naming my child this (but with my surname, not Gilmore although, Gilmore is a pretty good surname).
So, these nearly made my list and they are every bit as awesome as the ones listed above as are the characters they belong to:
- Luna Lovegood – Love me some alliteration, and Luna is a cool name on its own but Lovegood could be a Shadowhunter name which increases its awesome.
- Lester Papadopoulos – Made funny by its owner’s opinion of it but generally fun to say.
- Cindy Moon – She just sounds dark and mysterious and cool right? You’d do cool things with a girl called Cindy Moon.
- Hattori Mariko – I like the beats of it, the sound. The consonants take centre stage.
Any names you found awesome? Do we have any in common our lists? Let me know in the comments? Is one of these your name?! That would be cool.
Until next time!